- Begin by creating a new wallet file as per this guide.
- Click on next to see the wallet type selection window:
As you can see Electrum supports different types of wallets. You need to select the same type of wallet that you are restoring which in this case is the “Standard wallet”
- In the next step electrum asks you to choose where the wallet secret will come from
Choose “I already have a seed”
- Then enter your seed words:
Once you’ve entered valid seed words the next button will become enabled and you’ll be able to proceed to the next step.
Note: If the seed words are from another wallet, like the blockchain.info wallet or Mycelium, then you have to press options and check bip39. If the wallet is MultibitHD, Bread Wallet or Bitcoin Wallet for Android by A. Schildbach then follow the guide here instead.
- If your seed words are from a bip39 wallet (i.e. not Electrum) you will be shown this window below. Just leave the default value (m/44’/0’/0′ ) unchanged and click next
- Electrum now asks you to enter a password to protect your wallet file. This is optional but strongly recommended:
- Finally it generates your addresses and displays the electrum window: